Adult Learning Environment
As a student at SPSCC you will be introduced to and interact with students of a variety of ages, lifestyles, backgrounds and experience. When deciding if a college environment is right for you consider the following:
- Are you willing to have conversations about topics normally not discussed in a high school setting? This could include reading literature or watching movies of a mature nature, talking about sexuality, alternative lifestyles, war, viewing art and other topics in detail as it relates to the curriculum of the course.
- Are you ready to work in groups and large class settings of 28-30 people contributing to classroom discussions and working on group projects?
- Are you responsible with your time and able to manage a large volume of reading materials and course assignments? Our quarter classes are 12 weeks long during fall, winter and spring quarter and only 8 weeks long during the summer, but they encompass the same volume of curriculum as a YEAR LONG high school class.
- Do you have reliable internet access to be able to participate in Online, Hybrid and even Face to Face courses that utilize the online learning system?
- For every hour in class, you can expect one to two hours of work you will be completing on your own time. For a five credit class this equates to about 15 hours of work a week between in class and on your own time work per five credit class each week.
If you feel confident your ability to dedicate the time and attention to your course of study at the college as well as act in a mature and adult fashion, then you are ready to take classes at SPSCC! If any of the above makes you uncomfortable or you are not sure you can dedicate the time needed to your course, then we recommend you continue with your high school work and work with your high school counselor to make sure your academic needs are being met.